School is closed. SURPRISE! It’s time to homeschool.
COVI-19 is affecting us in all types of new ways.
With social distancing measures in place and more being taken to #flattenthecurve so we don’t all tax the healthcare system at once, you may find yourself having to homeschool your kids.
Most parents have no experience homeschooling and possibly, no desire to do so.
However, your kids will start climbing the walls if you think you can put them in front of an iPad or Netflix all day long.
While emergency homeschooling isn’t ideal, having some daily structure in place is important.
Fortunately, there are TONS of homeschooling resources available already online.
Most of the available resources are in English but there are a few I posted below that are bilingual.
A Few Tips
- You’re not going to be able to work your typical full-time work day schedule at home AND homeschool your kids. You still need to get work done, but you may need to shift your hours before the kids wake up and after they go to bed.
- Welcome to a typical work day working from home with kids! #beflexible
- Set a daily schedule that everyone can follow that allows for the kids to have some formal study, outside play, cleaning/chores, and for you to get work done.
- If you have neighbors with kids of similar ages, try to get a homeschool collective going, or at least rotate playgroup responsibility to share the load.
- When in doubt, emphasize play more than learning. There’s no test at the end of this and kids learn through play. You don’t need your kids to become little Einsteins this week. Focus on #surviving.
You might need to get creative and be a bit flexible, but here are some homeschooling resources for you to consider.
- Printables, activities, curricula by grade level: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com
- Live online classes for ages 3-18 years for as little as $5/class: https://outschool.com/
- Extended school closure activities, Elementary Spanish (Free): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Activity-Pages-Pack-for-Extended-School-Closure-5314408/
- Raising Multicultural, Multilingual Children at Home: http://www.multiculturalmotherhood.com/
- Resources from a Latina Homeschooler: http://www.mommymaestra.com/
- Easy ideas for Spanish lesson plans: https://spanishmama.com/easy-ideas-for-emergency-spanish-sub-lesson-plans/
- Spanish Homeschooling 101: https://spanishmama.com/spanish-homeschooling-tips/
- Bilingual Homeschool Chinese English: https://fortunecookiemom.com/
- The Multilingual Home: https://themultilingualhome.com/
- Swedish: https://www.svenskaportal.se/
- Academic activities, hands-on activities: http://theartofhomeeducation.com/
- Daily activities free printable: https://creativeworldofvarya.com/daily-activities-checklist/
- Create your own chore list (Free) printable instant download: bit.ly/chorechartprint
- Castle View Academy: https://www.castleviewacademy.com/
- Homeschooling as a naturalist with hands-on science activities: https://evavarga.net/
- Raising Global Citizens: https://alldonemonkey.com/
- Handwriting activities: http://www.tlsbooks.com/handwritingworksheets.htm
- Support for Academic Work