The holiday season is soon approaching and living abroad often means lots of travel! Traveling with kids can often be a stressful event for parents but, here are some travel tips to make the whole trip fun for the family.
1) Plan, plan, plan. If you didn’t plan trips before having kids, it’s time for that to change. Having a plan reduces the headache of trying to figure out things on the go.
2) Have a plan for when things don’t go as planned! Stock snacks, games, books, or a mobile device so there are activities if your well thought out plan becomes derailed.
3) Don’t over-schedule your family. Kids (and parents!) need down time. That’s the whole point of a vacation, right?? Make sure there is a slower rest day among activity filled days. A half day of board games or baking makes for great rest-day activities that include an afternoon nap too. Having a rest day will reduce crankiness for everyone!
4) If you are traveling abroad, pack your known brand of child medications to reduce the stress of finding a suitable medication in a different country.
5) Don’t eat too many sweets. Along with different schedules and places to sleep, eating too many sweets will make kids cranky and hyper. It’s vacation time but be sure to set limits too!
6) Bring along a familiar stuffed animal for your kiddo to sleep with. Having familiar smells and feelings help calm their brains for sleeping.
7) Have family quiet time before heading out for the day. If the day starts out hectic, then it will probably continue to be hectic!
8) If your child is sensitive to lights and sounds while sleeping, be sure to make a space for them that’s dark. Setting up a blanket tent can help block out lights and other stimulating sights. Use a fan to block out noise so unfamiliar sounds don’t keep them up!
Having a successful vacation includes coming home feeling rested! Make sleep a priority when traveling to help reduce crankiness and hyper-activity for your kids. Safe travels!
Courtney Landin is a child sleep specialist and nutritionist. Her philosophy is that sleep, nutrition, and exercise create a healthy and happy life. Her work focuses on educating parents about the importance of sleep, nutrition, and physical activity for the entire family and how to help them thrive!
Living Healthy is Happy!
Visit www.LivingHealthyHappy.com for more information.